A Brief History of St. Paul’s
St. Paul’s Episcopal Church held its first services in 1863 in the home of Mr. & Mrs. Swinford where Mrs. Mary Trumble lived with her daughter Anna Trumble. These two women were directly responsible for the start of the Episcopal Mission in Orange, Texas. Around 1880, Mrs. Mary Trumble donated property at what is now 4th and Main Streets and with gifts of lumber from local saw mills a church was built. In 1887, St. Paul’s was recognized as a mission congregation of the Diocese of Texas.
In 1920, St. Paul’s became a Parish Church in the Diocese of Texas and in September of 1943, the Rev. Thomas M. W. Yerxa and members began planning for St. Paul’s present structure at 13th and Park Ave.
The buildings are a concrete sign of our growth, but they do not show the true treasure of St. Paul’s, our people. From the very inception of St. Paul’s, it has been the people who have made the difference. Our people are what make St. Paul’s the warm caring community it is. A welcoming community of Christ that is faithful to Him and welcoming to those around us.
Rev. Keith Giblin
Dr. Don Ball, Jr.